POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Fa3ien
Date: 7 Oct 2007 02:29:22
Message: <47087cc2$1@news.povray.org>

> Warp  wrote in message <47079ed1@news.povray.org>:
>>   A shader should be able to, for example, launch additional rays if
>> necessary.
>
> Yes, I understood that. And I ask again the question, this time more
> precisely:
>
> Is, with any system, a basic non-programmer user, capable of writing a
> shader that does more that what is possible with textures and pigments?

No. Not a "non-programmer".  Since a shader consists in taking some
input (point position, normal,...), applying some algorithm, and
returning some final value, it's programming.

However, that's someting a beginner prorammer (someone who already
have the aptitude to create a #macro) should be able to do without
learning C++ first.

IMO, ideally, the shading language should be part, or a subset, of
SDL.

Fabien.